Dread it, run from it, Prime Day comes all the same every year. And this year, coming out of the pandemic, working summer jobs, and prepping for the new school year, you’re likely in the need for a new laptop. Today is a great day to buy, with so many laptop deals from Amazon prime, so here are the best ones for college students.
Best Budget Intel Laptop – ASUS ZenBook 13 – $629.99
This is easily the best laptop you’ll be able to get for less than $700. Thin, light, powerful, decent battery. The 10th Gen Intel processor may be a little dated (as it was at release), but you can’t beat it at this price.
- Processor: i5-1035G1
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 256 GB SSD
- Screen: 13.3″ 1920 x 1080 LCD Panel
- Dimensions: 0.55″ thick, 2.62 lbs
- Unique Features: Thunderbolt 3, Facial Recognition, and that weird numpad in the trackpad.
Best Budget AMD Laptop – Acer Swift 3 – $699.99
Packing the same Ryzen 7 4700U that pushed thin and lights to new bounds last year, this Acer Swift 3 will have you covered. With double the RAM and storage, it’s probably worth the extra $70 over the Zenbook, but being a cent under $700 toes the line between budget and mid-range
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4700U
- RAM: 16 GB LPDDR4
- Storage: 512 GB SSD
- Screen: 14″ 1920 x 1080p LCD Panel
- Dimensions: 0.63″ thick, 2.65 lbs
- Unique Features: Fingerprint Sensor, USB 3.2 Gen 2 with DP and PD, and it’s purple 😀
Best Mid-Range Laptop – LG Gram 16″ – $1,199.00
One of the definitive premium thin-and-lights, the LG Gram rarely is found for below $1400. Known for superb battery, performance, and portability, this deal is hard to beat.
- Processor: Intel 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM
- Storage: 256 GB SSD
- Screen: 16″ 2560 x 1600p IPS LCD Panel
- Dimensions: 0.66″ thick, 2.62 lbs
- Unique Features: Fingerprint Sensor, Large Touchpad, 2x Thunderbolt 4, long battery
Best Money-Is-No-Object Laptop – ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo – $1,999.00
Tired of having money? Got a late stimulus check in the mail? Got a job at $15/hr this summer and don’t know what else to do with the money? Well Amazon has you covered there too. The ZenBook Pro Duo has it all. A high end processor, a terabyte of storage, a ridiculous second screen to put your friend’s MacBook Pro TouchBar to shame, and a price tag to match. An RTX 2060 will let this laptop double as a decent gaming rig for your dorm, and honestly is probably the best discrete graphics card you’ll find until you graduate. Just don’t ask about the battery life.
- Processor: Intel 10th Gen Core i7-10750H
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Storage: 1 TB SSD
- Screen(s?): 15.6″ 3840 x 2160p OLED Touchscreen + 14″ 3840 x 1100 ScreenPad Plus
- Dimensions: 0.9″ thick, 5.50 lbs
- Unique Features: That freaking second screen, makes your wallet lighter to compensate for its weight
A 21st Century Notebook – Rocketbook Fusion – $25.90
This is a unique product I know quite a few people love – the Rocketbook Fusion is a ‘Smart’ Reusable Notebook. Lighter than carry a binder full of notebook paper and a cheaper digital notes solution than a tablet, it’s worth a look for the 30% Prime day discount
- Pages: 42 8.5″ x 11″ Reusable pages
- Cloud Services: Google Drive, Dropbox, OneNote, iCloud, and more
Noise-cancelling headphones $100 off – Sony WH-1000XM4 – $248.00
Got one of those roommates that’s just the worst? They blather on about god know’s what to someone on the phone, or types away as loud as they can on a mechanical keyboard at 2 AM, or listens to their music out loud? No longer will you need to give them angry glances or passive-aggressive comments with the Sony really-long-number XM4s. Their industry leading active noise cancelling will render your annoying roommate a mere muffled hum in the background as you jam to your favorite tunes.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth and headphone jack
- Battery life: 30 hr (according to Sony)
- …and 5 microphones?
A Monitor/TV perfect for your Dorm – Samsung 27″ M5 Smart Monitor – $179.99
This monitor is a special something. It’s got every modern connectivity you could want or need – 2 HDMI’s, AirPlay 2, Samsung’s DeX, a smart tv function, and even a light desktop for basic computing? It’s a bizarre but intriguing package. Dustin has one and loves his, and at this price it’s hard to beat. It’ll be the right size to fit on your desk for studying in the day, but big enough to have a friend (or someone special) over and watch a movie or Netflix on.
- Screen – 27″ 1920 x 1080p LED Panel
- Connectivity – 1 HDMI (ARC), 1 Normal HDMI, 4 USB ports, AirPlay 2, Dex
That’s all we have so far. Be sure to keep an eye on the deals, there’s a college/school tab for more deals on the Amazon website. If you’re new to our site, subscribe to Due By Midnight for a podcast about College and Tech. We have a new episode coming soon about laptops for 2021
by Dawson Reprogle